I’ve been sidelined with a cold for the last few days so it seems like a good time for a progress update here. As always, I’m posting more regular updates to the WoodenBoat Forum thread but keeping track here at less frequent intervals as well. Since my last post on the plan for the Spring haulout the work has progressed, but not in the direction I had intended.
My immediate goal had been to build out the forecabin (cabin sole, ceiling, bulkheads) prior to hauling out. To that end I have been cleaning up the inside of the frames, filling some areas damaged by galvanic interaction with the old iron fastenings and similar issues. But after removing one of the old cabin sole beams that I had planned to replace I found significant rot in one of the engine support crossmembers (they aren’t really true floors as it turns out).
After this discovery I removed the rotten wood, which led to the further revelation that the crossmembers are not fastened to anything, or at least not to very much. When I started to cut away the rotten area the entire end of the beam came away cleanly…
…indicating that these beams are not fastened to the planking at all. And I can see that it’s not fastened to the keel either. Petrel has no true floors forward of the engine so the frames-and-garboard-to-keel joint is weaker than I’d like. Given the need to repair this beam anyway, I’ve decided to go ahead and add floors as well. I don’t think I will be able to do all that and also tackle the planks and frames that I was planning on doing this time. So instead my plan is now:
- Wood bottom (strip the paint)
- Plug through hulls
- Install backing blocks for two old plugs in the garboard
- Recaulk garboards and a couple of leaky seams
- Replace the forward engine support beam
- Install floors on every other frame forward of the engine
- Fasten all engine support beams to planks and keel
- Paint bottom, top sides and rails
- Replace zincs as needed
- Pull/inspect hull fasteners
- Out of water survey
I have some work to do in advance of the haulout as well, starting with removal of all the concrete ballast in the way of the new floors – an arduous process to say the least!
All this structural work in the forecabin has pushed the cabin buildout project out until later this year at the earliest. So while I’m waiting for the weather to improve for the haulout I”m working on a few other projects, including:
1. Building a new outside steering station. I’m going to install the new helm on the starboard side of the pilothouse to the right of the door. I found a used Wagner helm pump in Victoria B.C. and it should be here in the next few days. And I just bought a new bronze steering wheel from Hamilton Marine:
2. Finishing the railing project:
3. And I need to do something about the leaks in the aft deck, in particular around the scuppers where water running down the inside of the hull is promoting rot:
My plan there is to lay down a sheet of plywood bedded in epoxy and coated with CPES. That’s not a permanent repair but it will keep the water out until I can rebuild the entire aft deck, which is needed in any case.
All that, and the rest of the prep for the work to be done during the haulout as well. I’d better get busy!